Thursday, October 1, 2009

Task Three

Think about your assumptions about learning?
I assume that all people are lifelong learners. I know that I am learning new things every day. I learn from my life experiences and the people that I am around.

Do all students have a capacity to learn?
All students have the capacity to learn. I have a friend that is a special education teacher. She had a student in her practicum that was diagnosed as mentally retarded. His teacher told my friend that he will never learn anything that she may try to teach him. My friend did not believe that. She taught that little boy ten new words in the matter of six months. That might not seem like a lot, buy that child was learning. She proved to that boy’s teacher that he can learn if someone would just believe in him.

What shapes this capacity?
There are so many different aspects that shape the capacity of learning. If a child has a support system through home and school the better ability of learning a student may have. The environment that the child lives in is important in shaping capacity. The will and determination of the student, teacher, and family encourages learning ability.

How much influence do you have upon this capacity?
I have a great deal of influence upon the capacity of learning of my students. I want all my students to succeed to their potential, and I need to teach to their potential. I need to guide their learning through the best way that my students learn. I need to use the best resources, and research-based teachings strategies that I can. Communication with parents is also very important.

How do these assumptions about learning shape our instruction?
Because I believe that all students can learn, I try to differentiate my instruction to try and meet all my students’ needs. Being a kindergarten teacher, I try to use hands on activities to guide my students to learn to the best of their abilities. I try to make my lessons challenging, but age appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was great that you included parent contacts in influencing the child's learning capacity. I feel that is important at all levels, but especially in kindergarten. Parents need to get involved in their child's education early.

    ReplyDelete