Saturday, September 19, 2009

Task Two

What is the purpose of curriculum and what role do we have as teachers in this purpose?

Curriculum design is at the center of developing student ability to construct understanding. Without appropriately designed curriculum, instruction can be ineffective at scaffolding understanding. For me, curriculum is a guide for teachers. As teachers, our role is to follow the guidance of the curriculum, support the goals of the school and district, and help our students learn to the best of their ability.

How much control do we have in the designing of curriculum? How much should we have?

As teachers, I believe that we have as much or as little control that we want over the curriculum. All curricular materials are subject to the interpretation and individual application of the teacher. However, there are those districts and schools that gives the teachers little choice or control. I feel that there should be no specific amount of control that a teacher should have. Each teacher is different and may need different levels of control of the curriculum. The school should be able to notice if the teacher is teaching the curriculum adequately, or if that teacher may need to go to grow in that aspect.

How does the curriculum that you have look like in your classrooms in a day to day environment?

I have a very relaxed curriculum in my classroom, because I am affiliated with the YMCA and not a part of the Kenton county school systems. However, I use the Kenton County curriculum guides. I collaborate with the kindergarten teachers at Caywood to make sure that I am on the same curriculum path as they are. I like to use hands-on, student-centered activities. I like my students to use inquiry to get them excited and intrigued in the lesson. My lessons are not always as student centered as I would like but I do try my best.

4 comments:

  1. Curriculum needs to recognize individual needs from different teachers, and unique needs of different schools. Although, curriculum works as guide, I believe it still needs to be designed to leave enough space for each teacher to adjust to the best fit of their real situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both that curriculum comes alive in the teachers' hands and that this is where it becomes relevant. I also agree that different schools and district put different amounts of authority into the teachers' hands-which is too bad. I am glad that you feel that you have some flexibility with your curriculum- maybe as a result of your looser affiliation with Kenton County. I also think we here in higher education need to do a better job equipping our future teachers to take a more active role in curriculum design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you are saying about teachers having as much or as little control as we want in regards to curriculum development. School distrcts vary on the involvement of teachers in the design of cirriculum, but I think with the climate of districts changing, administrators realize the importance and necessity of involving its faculty in the development of curriculum. In my own district, curriculum development is definitely changing and improving. We (teachers) are beginning to see ourselves as team players. This change has definitely brought about more positive interactions and relationships between faculty and administration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think about the amount of control over the curriculum I think of two aspects: (1) control over its development and, (2) control over its implementation. Some of us do not have any control over its development. I count myself blessed because I do have some influence in the development of mine. Most of us have influence over its implementation. However, control to me, means having the freedom to convey what it says through my "lens." I find ways to make it meaningful, practical and engaging.

    ReplyDelete